Electronic communication has played such a significance that electronic comprises of 70 percent of systems in vehicles. The remaining 30 percent is mechanical components. Almost all safety relevant systems communicate via CAN or Flexray Bus. Our vehicle that we drive with approximately 150 ECUs have already made thousands, tens of thousands decisions for us by collecting tens of thousands of signals from various sensors.
When we try driving a very old vehicle ( like a model produced in 1980s) and another vehicle produced in 2019 and compare the two driving experiences, we are baffled by how people could drive these “really old” vehicles, and realize how little effort we put into “driving” a vehicle (Who knows how you will feel after seeing the 100% self driving automobiles on the street and that the driving licenses you obtained many years ago do not have any value?)
My special advice is to place cones on a straight line at regular intervals and try slaloming in between the cones at different speeds with both vehicles. 🙂 This will underline the importance of the saying “ Tool works, hand becomes proud of it.” Unfortunately, personally witnessed this during the test track of Bosch in Boxberg!
It is also vital to state that it is necessary to put extra effort into having an accident while driving a semi autonomous car: lane tracking, collision avoidance system, an adaptive cruise control system determining speed of the vehicle based on the vehicle in front rather than the driver (self acceleration and braking), automatic parking system (self parking), a 360° angled camera, a head up display, speed limit support, adaptive front-lighting system, esp, eps, abs…
It is possible to see how the dynamic driving system I worked on for the four years impacts driving experience in the following example.
Network communication underlies all of this vast data transfer and decision making process. Totally different systems bring different requirements having different complexities and safety levels (ASIL) as well. For Example; the breakdown of which system will impact your driving: the steering wheel or air conditioner? Or do you want your ABS or in vehicle lighting system be processed in a short time?
For this reason, vehicle network communication has led to arousal of many communication protocols …